Competitive Development and Operating Costs
With low property taxes, a strong experienced construction industry, and excellent urban services, Edmonton offers industry a cost competitive development environment.
Competitive Cost Advantage
Edmonton’s construction industry is world-class and highly experienced in heavy industrial, commercial, institutional, civil and roadway construction.
Edmonton is home to a large number of construction companies offering a full range of construction services for projects in Edmonton, throughout Alberta and in various locations in Canada and throughout the world.
Edmonton’s construction companies have the skill set needed to address any industrial construction need – from cold climate challenges to building in remote locations.
Major Contractors in the area include:
- Aecon Infrastructure Group
- Bird Construction
- Clark Builders in Partnership with Turner Construction
- Ellis Don Construction Services
- Ledcor Group of Companies
- PCL Construction
- Stuart Olson Dominion Construction
The City of Edmonton supports the needs of business and industry through a stable and consistent planning and regulatory environment.
Edmonton’s planning regulation provides development certainty to businesses and the City’s streamlined review and planning process facilitates timely and efficient industrial development.
The City’s Industrial Services Team works closely with businesses to clarify requirements and facilitate and coordinate any regulatory reviews and land use planning and zoning requirements on industrial development initiatives to ensure a smooth development approvals process.
The development process is a dynamic process that guides how our city changes and grows as an attractive place to live and do business.
The development process involves four main parts:
- Review: Expert staff must review all land development applications and building plans
- Approve/Refuse: Development permits must comply with zoning regulations
- Inspect: Projects must undergo specific inspections to ensure construction is conducted safely
- Enforce: Ongoing enforcement is conducted to ensure the rules and regulations surrounding development are followed
For more information please visit: City of Edmonton Development Process.