Major Economic Driver in Edmonton – Agribusiness
Edmonton’s advantage in agribusiness is due to the established research institutions, knowledge-based technology and agencies vital to enhance crop inputs, food processing, manufacturing, bioresource technology and biosystem management.
Fueled as Canada’s major export gateway to Asia, Edmonton’s agri-technology innovation supports regional demand for quality food and fibre, production efficiency and sustainability. Net revenue in the Edmonton agribusiness sector exceeds $3.8 Billion. The majority of the sub-sector growth is in industrial crops, food processing and service based.
There is massive sector potential in next 45 years with global food demand to meet population growth, land degradation, water scarcity and climate change. Edmonton companies are utilizing business incubators, science and culinary food studies and leadership in robotics, data analytics and value-added products to service a growing niche market.
The Agribusiness Market
- Edmonton has displayed major sub-sector growth in value-add products
- Major export trade opportunities to Europe, Asia and Pacific Rim
- 302 Food Processing Companies in Edmonton
- 4,000 full-time workers
- $500 million in annual revenue
- Substantial activity in biotechnology and bioindustrial products for renewable sources that are converting non-crop plants and agricultural and forest waste in biofuel, biolubricants and biochemical
- Ottawa backed a new $108 tech fund co-lead by Alberta Innovates for farm automation through technological development and robotics to generate better outcomes and business productivity
Industry Associations and Networks
Edmonton features major research facilities staffed with scientists, engineers and technologists to strengthen and expand products to markets
- Agriculture Research and Extension Council
- Alberta Agriculture Programs and Services
- Alberta Food Processors Association
- Alberta Processing Business Incubator
- Alberta Institute of Agrologist
- Innotech Alberta / Alberta Innovates
- Alberta Council of Technologies
Please contact us for more detailed information on Edmonton's Agribusiness industry.
Edmonton agribusiness-related companies
Affinity Life Sciences
Agri-Growth International Inc
Bent Stick Brewing
BioNeutra North America Inc
Range Road Meats Co
TC Scientific Inc